[ic] StaticFly

paul jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 25 20:41:01 2002

> Grant wrote:
>
> >I'm using IC 4.9.3 and I'd like to have static pages built
> for each of the
> >items in my products database.  The docs say:
> >
> >StaticFly
> >A Yes/No directive. If set to Yes, static builds will
> attempt to generate a
> >page for every part number in the database using the
> on-the-fly page build
> >capability. If pages are already present with those names,
> they will be
> >overwritten. The default is No.
> >
> >But how do you specify which directory the files are saved
> in and how often
> >they're built?
> >
> I'm just a little curious as to when or why someone would
> ever do this.
>  If you have a small database, the flypage load would be
> minimal and if
> you had a giant database, the management of the flypages would be
> incredibly hard to handle, would it not?
>
> Barry

I think it is a way to use interchange as a tool which produces the
actual product. Maybe like "generate website"... for a cd-rom maybe? Or,
"generate paper trail" of sorts for an application.

For instance, I am putting together a web application for my sister
built in interchange. It will do, among other things, track her billing.
It would be cool to... once a particular "bill" is complete "output" it
to static, thus, if the dynamic "bill making/viewing" part changes, it
will not contaminate the completed bills (calculations, etc).

It would  be nice if you could "invoke" this feature... kinda like
"archive this page now", thus securing the accuracy of "that particular
data transaction". Maybe you can, I have never looked into it, but i
most likely will when it comes time.

It does not have to generate .html pages I think. So, you could use it
as a utility to generate an .txt or .? archive for use elsewhere... as
in import into your specialized app.

Maybe that is :)

Paul