[ic] StaticFly

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 25 22:50:01 2002

Grant wrote:

>>>I'm using IC 4.9.3 and I'd like to have static pages built for each of the
>>>items in my products database.  The docs say:
>>>
>>>StaticFly
>>>A Yes/No directive. If set to Yes, static builds will attempt to
>>>

>>generate a
>>

>>>page for every part number in the database using the on-the-fly page build
>>>capability. If pages are already present with those names, they will be
>>>overwritten. The default is No.
>>>
>>>But how do you specify which directory the files are saved in and how often
>>>

>>>they're built?
>>>

>>I'm just a little curious as to when or why someone would ever do this.
>>If you have a small database, the flypage load would be minimal and if
>>you had a giant database, the management of the flypages would be
>>incredibly hard to handle, would it not?
>>

>I used to think the same thing.  However, I've got a cross selling system on
>my flypages that checks the "keywords" field for that product against the
>keywords field for every other product and displays the cross sells based on
>the results.  Because of that, my flypages take 7-8 seconds to load.  Static
>flypages would fix this, but now I'm thinking that isn't the best solution.
>I'm thinking I need something to periodically (daily) run through that
>keyword matching for every product in the products database and write each
>set of results to a field for each product.  That way I won't have to run
>through that search and evaluation every time a flypage is loaded.  I guess
>the best way to do that would be with a cron and a series of loops and data
>tag?  Can the default database handle something like that for about 225
>products?  If each item takes 7 seconds, 225 items would take about 26
>minutes....

Perhaps there is something wrong with your system, too few resources,
because with that small of a database, I would expect it to be much
faster...  Have you thought about creating another column that is
indexed for what you must search one?

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028