[ic] RobotUA

Grant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 26 23:19:01 2002

Thanks a lot for the info Phillip.  I'd like to clarify a couple things
though...

>Usually with a 301 it takes a couple of runs from most spiders to decide
>to go anywhere else into the
>site.

What is the correct way to forward from your domain to your site's index
page so the spiders don't get confused?

>Now depending on how long your system has been running with a 301
>if you move now it will cause
>you more problems. Realize that 301 is just like you told the mailman
>you have a new address and then
>you send a new change of address to all of your magazine companies.
>Now how long does it take for them to get around to sending them to your
>new address?
>Then sundenlly you decide to send them and your mailman a new change of
>address again even before
>they have actually acted on your old change of address. Well you will
>have at least 2 monthns before you get
>any magazines or a good part of your mail will end up in different places.
>
>So usually using 301 in difference to 302 that says temp move don't keep
>record of it. This is a very bad things
>when it comes to spiders if you keep bouncing arround.

Are you saying a 301 or a 302 is better for spiders?

>This is spoken completly from experience since I did this myself and
>have seen its effects.
>
>Also all of your DMOZ entries also need to point to your redirected
>location to get credit for it.

Where are these entries?

>Point is this if you have just started doing this move, then leave it
>alone. It will take at least 2 months for
>google and a few others to catch up. If you have done this for awhile
>you could completley lose at least
>a months worth of crawls until they get around to seeing the new move.
>
>This happend to me and I got impatient myself and moved around again.
>Lost much traffic and after talking to some people at webmasterworld,
>they just told me to not mess with it and be patient they will crawl
>your site within one to two
>months. If your sids are not showing they will jump on it soon.
>
>--
>Philip S. Hempel
>debian/rules

It seems like there must be a better way to go about all this that doesn't
use 301s at all so the spiders will head straight inside.  What would that
be?

- Grant