[ic] Interchange, SSL???

Tom Murdoch (Toms Computers) interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Nov 27 14:12:01 2002

<quote>
I would like to add SSL to my Interchange site which is hosted by
webhostxl.com on a dedicated server.  The company has said that they
will install the certificate for free, however, when I went to order the
certificate (from instantssl.com) they say that the first step in
ordering is to create a Certificate Signing Request using the following
command:

openssl req –new –nodes -keyout myserver.key –out server.csr

O.K., I can do that on my local computer, but doesn't the private key
need to be created and reside on the server that hosts the site?  I
could run the command on the dedicated server, but my hosting plan
doesn't include telnet access.
</quote>

Jeff,

You need to get your host to make a CSR and private key for you.  If they
don't know how to do so (mine didn't), you should give them the instructions
on making it.  You can then use the CSR to get your SSL certificate.  If you
are just starting out, and would like to go a cheap route for SSL, look at
FreeSSL.com.  It's a free certificate, that 90% of browsers will recognise.

I would also recommend to you to change to a host that gives you telnet
access.  I have found that telnet is the least agrevating way of doing a lot
of things on my website, and I will NEVER use a host that doesn't supply it
again.  You also say that you have a dedicated server?  They should provide
you with Telnet access to your server.

My  host has Interchange set up through Cpanel, but I have chosen to set up
my own service.  The reason being that my host's IC setup seems to forget
it's settings every once in a while.  Telnet is the ONLY way to set up
Interchange on a remote server.

Good luck,

Tom Murdoch