[ic] getting frustrated, can't get server running

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Nov 29 04:36:01 2002

Please help.  This is really getting frustrating.  All
I get is this:

We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
We are out of service or may be experiencing high
system demand. Please try again soon.

I've spent about three hours now trying to figure it
out, I've been through the FAQ's and searched the
mailing list.  I followed all the hints I've found and
I'm noticing a few things.

First, the tables aren't populated.  The first time I
ran it it had some problems with creating the tables,
and I think that was a permissions issue in mysql, so
I fixed up the db user, flushed privileges and created
the tables manually from the error messages spewed
out.  I then re-ran the makecat, still no luck.  These
are the types of error messages I was getting - it
doesn't seem to be dropping the ic_test_create table
as it goes through everything.  And whenever I use the
bin/restart it goes through all these errors.

> Error: Table 'ic_test_create' already exists
- - - [29/November/2002:00:15:29 -0800] - - table
'transactions' failed: No database object for table:
transactions

> Probable mismatch of Database directive to database
type,
> for example calling DBI without proper modules or
database
> access.

- - - [29/November/2002:00:15:29 -0800] - - unable to
create test table:

Second, I noticed from the archives something about a
file called 'construct' that should be in the cgi-bin
directory??   I'm not seeing this and have searched
but can't seem to find it.  Am I missing something
here?  The only thing in the cgi directory is a file
called foundation.

Third, whenever I run bin/restart, after all the
messages above, I get "foundation config error:
products not a database, cannot use as products file"
 I've looked at the products.txt file and it seems
fine, the header row is in there and the data looks
like the sample data.

When I kill everything off and then use the command

su -c "/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange -r"
interch

the only thing I see running in a ps is this

interch 90838  0.0  2.0 21280 20724  ??  Ss    1:28AM
 0:00.05 /usr/local/bin/perl
/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange --Ignore -r

so something's running, I think :)

What's a little frustrating is the difficulty of the
docs.  There just doesn't seem to be very good
documentation, I understand the level of knowledge to
run this is probably a bit higher, and maybe I'm not
quite there, but it's frustrating.  And I haven't even
gotten to my real data and how to deal with that yet.
And right now I've wiped everything and restarted
fresh installs about four times now.

Sorry, it's been a long night now and those 7am turkey
day sales are coming up way too quick :)   If it
matters, it 4.8.6 and FreeBSD 4.3 and mysql 3.23.40
and perl 5.8.0.  Any help would be appreciated
greatly.