[ic] Foundation Store -> New Fields (importing data)

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Nov 30 20:14:00 2002

Hi again... this is fun.  I was having another small
problem though.  I'm using 4.8.6 and trying to add two
new fields to the products table.  I found this guide
to doing it
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2002-August/024168.html
which is really helpful.  The only problem is I can't
find this KNAR thing anywhere.  The only catalog I've
installed is foundation.  I did try a bunch of stuff
and got it to work so I wanted to post the info here
in case anyone else might find it useful.  In this
paragraph of the post

>I jump over to the Admin UI, and goto the
Administration section.
>Choose Knar and edit the variable table (default).
>
>Search for the UI_ITEM_FIELDS variable.
>
>It will resemble
>sku description comment category type image display
price nontaxable
>related featured required inactive weight shipping

the only thing I could figure out was that under the
UI Admin area for tables, there is a hidden table
called mv_metadata and in there is a field called
"products" which seemed similar, so I just added the
two fields in there after the category field entry.  I
followed the rest of the changes and everything seems
to work fine.  When I go to add/edit products, I see
my two fields there.

The problems I was having.

When I do an import, nothing gets imported for those
two fields and they are all filled in within my Excel
spreadsheet, but they all show up as null in the
database and empty in the actual mysql database when I
go in on the command line.

Also, when I do my import, I only have info filled in
in the products and inventory tables in the excel
spreadsheet.  I downloaded the products.xls sample and
used that as my base.  Then I go into tables, select
product and go through the import and I get these
error messages

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Unknown column 'code'
in 'field list' at
/usr/local/interchange/lib/Vend/Table/DBI.pm line
1565,  line 40.

Progress to date:

table merchandising: Blank key, no autonumber option,
skipping.
table merchandising: 0 records processed of 37 input
lines.
table options: Using fields from file: 'code sku
o_enable o_matrix o_modular o_group o_value o_label
o_widget o_master price wholesale differential
description weight volume mv_shipmode o_exclude
o_include o_header o_footer o_height o_width'

so I dumped the options, merchandising and pricing
tables, which had no data and tried again.  And voila,
that worked for products.

BUT, no matter what I have tried I can't seem to get
the inventory to import.  When I try and import from
the excel spreadsheet with the info for both tables,
it always only imports the products.  When I drop the
products table from the excel spreadsheet and have an
inventory only one, I get this error message

FATAL error

Non-existent table ''

Progress to date:

Is there something I'm missing here.  Or is there a
better way to handle importing data?

Second, in add/edit products both product group and
category have dropdowns and it would be nice to have
that same thing here.  If I can't have that, that's
fine, but if I can if anyone can point me in the right
direction I'd sure appreciate it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  :)