[ic] Installation for Beginner

Joshua Lavin interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 1 15:07:00 2002

> Thank for reply to my question so quickly.  Could you explain
> a little bit more about the root access. Thank you much.

You're welcome.

Unix servers have user accounts. Users are assigned different rights. The
'root' user has all the rights.

On a shared webhost, your account will have very limited rights. They
usually don't let you install software.

What you need is a dedicated server for your webhosting, where you are the
root user. There are no other webhost customer on this machine. This can be
pretty expensive; an alternative is a virtual server. On a virtual server,
you share the machine with other customer, but your account behaves as if it
was root. There are some modifications you have to make when installing
software on a virtual server.

Another option would be to choose a shared webhost that offers pre-installed
Interchange. Korksoft (www.korksoft.com) is one.

Personally, I use a virtual server from Verio (www.verio.com).

Josh Lavin