[ic] Encrypting IC pages on server?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 1 19:42:00 2002

John Beima [jbeima@palb.com] wrote:

> We have actually been working on this to protect copywrighted code that winds up
> on client servers.

I find that the following line is sufficient for the full protection
of "copywrighted" code:

    <!-- Copyright (c) 2002 Company Name Here. -->

> This approach wont work however, because if there is a tag on the server that is
> capable to of un-encrypting the code, then the client can just use that tag to
> unencrypt your pages, hence breaking your security.
>
> We have been working on releasing a modified Interpolate.pm that will actually
> run the encrypted code. Hence stopping this problem.

It seems that you're not familiar with the concept and ideals of Open
Source software, which makes me wonder why you're using Interchange
in the first place.

In accordance with the GPL, your modified Interpolate.pm would have to
be released to your clients in a readable form.  Your clients would
then be free to examine the decryption method used.  Armed with this
information, it would be trivial to create a utility to decrypt every
one of the encrypted pages you supply.

Interpolate.pm would not be the correct module to update to add this
sort of functionality anyway.

(lazy quoting and full page advert deleted.)