[ic] Encrypting IC pages on server?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 1 22:19:01 2002

John Beima [jbeima@palb.com] wrote:

> > It seems that you're not familiar with the concept and ideals of Open
> > Source software, which makes me wonder why you're using Interchange
> > in the first place.
> >
> > In accordance with the GPL, your modified Interpolate.pm would have to
> > be released to your clients in a readable form.  Your clients would
> > then be free to examine the decryption method used.  Armed with this
> > information, it would be trivial to create a utility to decrypt every
> > one of the encrypted pages you supply.
> >
> All we have to do is provide Interchange in a readable format, not the
> additions, since they will be a copyrighted and SOLD product.

You have been misinformed.  Perhaps you should read the GPL license, under
which Interchange is distributed.  It appears that you really have no idea
what the terms "Open Source" and "Free Software" mean.

> <!-- Copyright (c) 2002 Company Name Here. -->
> Does nothing. When you have the odd questionable client, that guts code and
> steals it for other projects they were never authorized to use it on.

"Guts code and steals it," that would be questionable behaviour, yes.
Let's hope that people don't start doing that with Interchange.