[ic] Encrypting IC pages on server?

John Beima interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 1 23:27:00 2002

Quoting Kevin Walsh <kevin@cursor.biz>:

> John Beima [jbeima@palb.com] wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems that you're not familiar with the concept and ideals of Open
> > > Source software, which makes me wonder why you're using Interchange
> > > in the first place.
> > >
> > > In accordance with the GPL, your modified Interpolate.pm would have to
> > > be released to your clients in a readable form.  Your clients would
> > > then be free to examine the decryption method used.  Armed with this
> > > information, it would be trivial to create a utility to decrypt every
> > > one of the encrypted pages you supply.
> > >
> > All we have to do is provide Interchange in a readable format, not the
> > additions, since they will be a copyrighted and SOLD product.
> >
> You have been misinformed.  Perhaps you should read the GPL license, under
> which Interchange is distributed.  It appears that you really have no idea
> what the terms "Open Source" and "Free Software" mean.
>

> > <!-- Copyright (c) 2002 Company Name Here. -->
> > Does nothing. When you have the odd questionable client, that guts code
> and
> > steals it for other projects they were never authorized to use it on.
> >
> "Guts code and steals it," that would be questionable behaviour, yes.
> Let's hope that people don't start doing that with Interchange.

Actually this seems to have very much got off on a tangent.

Do to several people jumping to conclusions.

01) We do NOT plan on altering the Interchange distribute at all. Our clients
will be able to download a clean copy off of the current, or any, Interchange
FTP server.

02) Our scripts will be distributed seperately & patched in at the time of install.

03) Interchange will then run in both native and pre-compiled/encrypted mode.

These tools will allow site developers to release code to be executed on other
servers without the reprocussions of it being gutted or stolen.

Who will benifit from these tools? Anyone who does REAL Interchange development.
Anyways who things of Interchange as a replacement for PHP or Java to develope
on-line applications, as opposed to those who think of it as a e-Commerce package.

For example we have written a customer support desk in Interchange, to track all
customer support tickets.

We have also written a full web site editor, for maintain point of presence
sites. Not to mention we were the first to develope one, with our first one
written in 1997-8.

The concept of putting "Copyright" at the bottom of a page, and then taking
legal action against everyone that violates it, doesn't work for smaller developers.

A "Pre-Compiler/Encrypeter" is needed to protect all developers who wish to stop
their code from being stolen.

Smaller developers can't afford to just take legal action everytime someone cuts
and pastes their code.

If Racke or Mike wishes to decuss any of this, we will be more than willing to
decuss our plans with them, but NO others....

John Beima
jbeima@palb.com, support@alocalagent.com, and support@alocalchurch.com

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
\\                                                                    //
//                                                                    \\
\\ ADVANCED INTERCHANGE HOSTING - $15.00 Per MONTH                    //
// Generic Web Site Hosting - $10.00 Per Month                        \\
\\ Includes Unlimited E-Mail Accounts With Many Options!              //
// Includes one .com, .net, or .org domain!                           \\
\\                                                                    //
//                                                                    \\
\\ Affordable Web Pages / P.A.L.B. Systems                            //
// www.affordable-web-pages.com                                       \\
\\                                                                    //
\\ 11639-122 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5M 0B6               //
// Phone: (780)451-1086 - Fax: (780)447-4760                          \\
\\ 2713B Spring Place SW, Decatur, Alabama, United States, 35603      //
// Phone: (256)341-0543 - Fax: (256)351-7297                          \\