[ic] Encrypting IC pages on server?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 2 01:26:01 2002

John Beima [jbeima@palb.com] attempted to write:

> Do to several people jumping to conclusions.
>
> 01) We do NOT plan on altering the Interchange distribute at all. Our clients
> will be able to download a clean copy off of the current, or any, Interchange
> FTP server.
>
> 02) Our scripts will be distributed seperately & patched in at the time of install.
>
> 03) Interchange will then run in both native and pre-compiled/encrypted mode.
>
> These tools will allow site developers to release code to be executed on other
> servers without the reprocussions of it being gutted or stolen.

I always release the full source code with the work I produce, whatever
language or development platform I use.  This allows my clients to make
subsequent changes to the code without being locked into using a single
supplier or being prevented from making the changes themselves.

What my customers do with code I've written is entirely up to them.
If they've paid for it then I don't see why they shouldn't make full
use of it.

> Who will benifit from these tools? Anyone who does REAL Interchange development.
> Anyways who things of Interchange as a replacement for PHP or Java to develope
> on-line applications, as opposed to those who think of it as a e-Commerce package.

No comment.

(Various unproven claims to fame deleted.)

> A "Pre-Compiler/Encrypeter" is needed to protect all developers who wish to stop
> their code from being stolen.

What's next?  A license server?  A dongle?  That sort of closed-source
mentality is simply not welcome in the Free Software community.

(Full page advert deleted.)