[ic] Re: Out of memory problems with Downloadable products.

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 2 13:56:01 2002

Nathan Pitts writes:

> Hello.
>  I have recently put Interchange online as the ecommerce application for
> my company. We are offering our software products for download, available
> as CD-ROM ISO images.
>  Each time that a customer attempts to download a product, the webserver
> runs out of  memory.
>  I have figured out what the problem is, but not how to fix it.
>  It appears that in /usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange, a download is
> handled by a subroutine called do_deliver. This do_deliver sub is a call
> to /usr/lib/interchange/lib/Vend/Util.pm->readfile and then a call
> to /usr/lib/interchange/lib/Vend/Server.pm->respond.
>  The problem is that Util::readfile performs a "slurp" on the file to be
> delivered, meaning it tries to read the entire file into memory before
> delivering it. With a 650 MB ISO image, this is not a viable solution,
> especially considering that more than one user may be downloading at 1
> time.
>  Has anyone out there used Interchange to serve large downloads? Is it
> possible?

Not yet. But it would be nice to have a version of read_file which
supports file reading in chunks.

Ask your favourite Interchange consultant to implement this feature.

Bye
    Racke

--
Prolific Interchange Consulting (Excellent German Quality !).
Take a look at Materialboerse (http://www.materialboerse.de/), WITT