[ic] cant find documentation for creating second shopping cart

Jeffrey Cox interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 2 16:06:00 2002

<Snip of alot of stuff >
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Jordan" <paul@gishnetwork.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 11:18 AM
Subject: RE: [ic] cant find documentation for creating second shopping cart

> > docs and on
> > entering the

> > repeat the
> > that subject

> > >Well i have the "main" shopping cart. i didn't actually *do* anything.
> > >it's just there. i really dont understand what's involved in
> > creating more
> > >hence the broadness. pointing me anywhere related at all would
> > be a help,
> > >then i could make the question more specific.
> > >
> > >thanks
> > >
> > >John
> >
> > Who installed it? Let me guess - your hosting co. uses CPanel and it
came
> > with your account?
> >
> > - Ed L.
> >

> rrraarrrr! Ed :)
>
> I don't know what that is about, but it seems like any install of
foundation
> would have 'main' magically appear. To find out otherwise a little
searching
> is in order (in the docs).
>
> I have never done it but you might want to try looking at 'mv_cartname'
>
> HTH
>
> Paul

Running multiple carts isn't to difficult. However, if you didn't install
things your self there creating another cart may or may not be all that
simple. Look up the installation instructions in the documenation and follow
those. Basically, you will want to again run bin/makecat from the
interchange directory. (maybe /usr/local/interchange). answer the questions,
makeing sure you have a new url and directory for the second cart. (i.e.
www.abc.com/store2... files in /var/www/store2...). Also, if you are using a
DBI based database, make sure you don't use the same database as before. Not
certain, but I think you run the risk of droping all the data in your other
"store". Once you are done, you should have a new catalog in your catalogs
directory (maybe /home/interch/catalogs/store2), and a second cgi program in
your cgi-bin directory.

Thats really the quick and dirty version... you want to hope that the
interchange level, and the information above is just to get you started...
you will have to determine the particulars of installation. However, if it
is a default install, and most modifications were kept within the scope of a
catalog, its actually quite easy.  Reading through the installation
directions will be your best bet... and I think the kick start you are
looking for, though grossly oversimplified,  is to understand that
"interchange" per say is just the program that parses your catalog files.
Running a second catalog, is as simple as creating a new one. Hope this
helps... if not shoot me an email, and maybe I can confuse you some more...
:) I run multiple catalogs, albiet under different virtual domains though...

Jeff