[ic] outragous error logs - search string must be 1 character - SOLVED

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 3 14:53:00 2002

Michael Goldfarb wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >this is weird.  I am getting these error logs every few seconds.
> >I just noticed it and my error.log was over 10MB from the
> >last couple of months of this happening.
> >
> >I have tried all sorts of combinations of using the site as a
> >user or admin, and I *never* cause these entries myself, so
> >I have no idea who or what is causing it.  any ideas?
> >
> >this is long, im sorry, but I wanted you to see the patterns:
> >[begin error log snip]
> >
> >64.12.96.10 pCAQxgoA:64.12.96.42 - [03/October/2002:11:22:59 -0500]
> >ffstore /cgi-bin/ffstore.cgi/scan/ff-header_03-over.gif search error:
> >Search strings must be at least 1 characters.
> >> You had no search string specified.
> >>
> >.64.12.96.233 pCAQxgoA:64.12.96.42 - [03/October/2002:11:23:05 -0500]
> >ffstore /cgi-bin/ffstore.cgi/scan/ff-header_04-over.gif search error:
> >Search strings must be at least 1 characters.
> > You had no search string specified.
> >

> We had this same issue a few months ago and our issue was caused by a
> faulty preLoad statement for mouse-over images.
>
> Again, I do not know if this is your problem, but if you do have a
> preLoad statement on your pages try removing it and see if that stops
> the errors from appearing in the log.
>
> Once we narrowed that down to being the cause for our errors, we just
> added a "/" before the preload statements and that stopped
> the problem.

Thanks Michael, that looks like that did it!  the way the actual error
was coming out, I was looking for something in my search syntax
that was amiss.  However, it was just as you say, the roll over.  I
just changed it from the __IMG_DIR__ variable that I had, to
an exact file location with a leading "/".

Thanks again!

   Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton