[ic] Single Unit and Case Quantities in IC 4.9.2

Bill Carr interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Oct 4 09:08:04 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 21:31, Alex wrote:
> First, thank you for such a great product. We have been
> implementing without a hitch and have found most answers
> through the mail-list archives and documentation.
>
> That said there is one task we have had difficulties
> locating a solution to in IC4.9.2:
> We have a line of products with custom attributes which we
> would like to offer drill down searches on. This includes
> attributes like brand and size (i.e. search for all Sony
> products or search for all large shirts). What is the best
> way to add support for these custom fields and then
> generate the respective search links?
>

> Additionally some of these products offer both single unit
> and box quantities (different sku's) and we would like to
> group the two together. Ideally the same product display
> page would present an option to buy the single unit(buy 1
> item - $x) and if available the case quantity as well (buy
> 1 box of 80 - $xx). We would want to eventually take this
> one step further where a retail customer would see single
> unit and box quantities while a wholesale customer would
> see box quantities and true case quantities (x boxes per
> case).
>

> For example: When viewing a lollipop as a retail customer
> you could purchase a single lollipop or buy a box of
> lollipops (if stocked - if not, box option would not
> appear). As a wholesale customer you could purchase
> possibly a single lollipop, a box of 80 lollipops, or a
> case of 6 boxes. All would have different sku's.
>

> Has anyone on the list implemented something similar or
> know where we can look for existing support? Any pointers
> in the right direction would be greatly appreciated and
> I'm sure any work we do we would be happy to give back to
> the project.
We have done something similar with beverages. We maintain an 'items'
table which contains information about the product (description,
brand/producer, vintage, etc). We have a 'prices' table that has
itemid,size,pack,price and some other stuff. This approach allows us to
maintain a single item description for multiple pack and size
configurations. Here is an example
http://www.nicholasrobertsltd.com/ic/128578 showing an item with
different prices for different packs.

--