[ic] USPS Webtools APIs

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Oct 5 18:04:00 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Jon wrote:

J>>    After what Jim mentioned I may be looking into FedEx again. And I really
J>>want an automated process and I don't really want to spend the bucks for
J>>Quicken; maybe some day in the future.  I did some brief reading on USPS's
J>>stuff and was all gung-ho to work on it and now. . . Well if I can get decent
J>>rates from FedEx, and what I'll be shipping doesn't really need to be over
J>>nighted
J>>i.e. ground should be fine, then FedEx may be the way to go.  The only problem
J>>I can think of with FedEx and UPS versus USPS is not being able to ship to
J>>a PO Box; this can cause a problem at a college campus.

It depends on who is running the mail box. If it's Mailboxes, Etc, or
something similar, then it's not a problem. If the USPS is running it, then
it's a problem.

Our customers are VERY sensitive to privacy. We urge them to go to a
commercial Mail Box outfit. They get better tracking. FedEx and UPS include
insurance for up to $100. USPS does not.

We do ship by Priority Mail. I've developed a relationship with a fellow
retired Army officer at the local post office that has greased some skids to
make the whole process work better.

We are spending about $1,000.00 per month in shipping costs and FedEx is
working the best for us, and is what most of our customers select. IC allows
them to determine their shipping costs in advance and the main choice is
FedEx.

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Saturday, October 05, 2002 at 17:50 PM:
Where there's a will, there's an inheritance tax.

This Linux System has been up 170 hours