[ic] USPS Webtools APIs

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Oct 5 19:11:01 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Grant wrote:

G>>Jim, I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to persuade you to switch your
G>>methods, but there are some things I'd like to say in response to your
G>>message.

Let's agree that each of us looks around and finds what works for our own
particular tastes and set up.

G>>As far as accessing your shipping info from the Internet, you can use
G>>FedEx's new system "Insight" which lets you enter your account number and
G>>see all the info for your packages in route and any relatively recently
G>>delivered packages.  There's no manual entry of shipments to get Insight to
G>>work.  It keys automatically off of your account number which is pretty
G>>awesome.  It shows (and is sortable by) all the info you entered about each
G>>package such as customer name, invoice number, whatever.

I'll take a look.

G>>I have to say I don't really understand what you mean by the chron job
G>>meaning you have to print out all the labels at once.  All it does it
G>>compile a .txt list of all your pending orders (along with all their
G>>necessary information) at whatever time interval works for you (every 5
G>>minutes?).  Then, when you're packing and shipping, you download the .txt
G>>file, import it into QuickShip with a couple of clicks, select the order
G>>number you want, and ALL of the info is populated for that order.  Click
G>>"Process Order", out comes the label on the thermal printer, and you're
G>>done.  When you're done for the day, click "Close the Day" and FedEx prints
G>>out a manifest with all that day's orders listed.

The restrictions here are that all orders are processed manually once the
customer has submitted them. My POS system does a superb job of inventory
handling, and that runs only under (yech) Windows.

By our manually handling the orders, we are able to keep in touch better
with our customers. With regular customers, we know their preferences. They
order something in pink, and always before it's been blue and we will send
them an e-mail to confirm the color. John Smith calls up about his order and
I can talk to him about it because I processed it.

If I automate these things, I lose that personal touch.

G>>It works pretty well.  I do use Quickbooks, and I'm currently checking out

I'm glad that it works for you.

I started using Quicken before Windows 3.1.

I bought a copy of Quickbooks last year. The manual that I got only had the
basics of setting up a company. No information on installing or running the
software. When I called in, I was told that I would have to pay for help. It
is now overly complex and very difficult to use.

I greatly admire anyone who can operate QuickBooks while sober and without
going bald!

G>>the "ShipRush v2" program that allows you to ship from within QuickBooks
G>>with just a couple clicks.  If it has all the features of QuickShip that I
G>>need I may switch over.

As I said, each of us need to find what works the best for us. And, that
involves looking at, and evaluating other possibilities. I appreciate that
you have presented your case and told us what is working for you. I'm happy
that it's meeting your particular needs.

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Saturday, October 05, 2002 at 18:55 PM:
What do batteries run on?

This Linux System has been up 171 hours