[ic] different cart, different price

John Allman interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Oct 7 11:44:01 2002

Hi - I have a situation now where  i have two shopping baskets, one for
orders coming from a catalog (a physical catalog like a magazine) and
one for orders coming in from the website as usual. The codes in the
catalog (from here on assume when i say catalog i mean the actual
magazine type thing) are different from the sku's in the product table
so i'm intending to have a little perl code in a variable (lets call
this variable translate) to look up a table in the database and
translate from catalog code to sku. I then would have something like
<input type=hidden name=mv_click value=translate> in my form for
ordering. i'm hoping this makes sense so far.

problem is that the products listed in the catalog might have slightly
different prices to those on the live website (if, for example the
prices on the website were changed). so my plan is to have an extra
field in this "catalog code to sku translation table" with the price
listed in it. now the problem arises that when i get to the shopping
basket page i need to know the catalog code in order to get the correct
price, but i've already translated it into an sku to place the order.

i'm thinking of adding the catalog code for each order into a perl array
which will be stored as a scratch variable. Then when i'm iterating
through the products in the basket, i can keep a count and look at each
corresponding catalog code in turn and use this to look up the
appropriate price for the current item. does this sound like a sensible
way to do things? i also briefly considered storing the price in a cgi
variable - but somebody could abuse this reasonably easily and claim
whatever price they wanted for a product.

If anyone can offer me any advice or make any comments on the approach
i've proposed i'd much appreciate it.

thanks

John