[ic] We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...

mike karthauser interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 9 11:54:07 2002

I have made got my IC system together enough that it will run on my apache
server, having made a catalog.

I am still hitting the page 'We're sorry, the Interchange server is
unavailable...' when i try to connect to the demo directory.

I have compiled vlink which was picked up by the makecat and so is correctly
(IMO) configured.

I have looked at documentation on icdev for any pointers to how to fix this
problem.

http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq05%2e02

'Iserver.com and other systems which use chroot HTTP servers require quite a
bit of extra configuration to get going. If you have not been careful to set
permissions properly when running in VLINK/UNIX mode, the link CGI will not
be able to communicate with the Interchange server. Please read the
documentation that covers this in detail.'

Does anyone know where the documentation that covers this is?

My system is build on p111-500/ freebsd 4.7 pre-release / perl 5.8. The
server is runs off an 80Gb filesystem that is partitioned.

I have been advised by Jonathan Clarke that:

'If you are now getting "Sorry the interchange server is unavailable.." then
check the ownership of the link program in the cgi-bin and make sure its
chmod u+s.'

Can anyone develop on this? The vlink program on my system is located at
/usr/local/interchange/src/vlink.pl

Is there something missing on my filesystem? This is my first attempt at ic
install and would appreciate any advice.

many thanks
--
Mike Karthauser
Managing Director - Brightstorm Ltd