[ic] HTML in SQL database

Fri Oct 11 11:33:01 2002

Quoting George Osvald (mail@okstudio.com.au):
> > I would like to simplify the file management in Interchange. I want  to run
> > several catalogs from one SQL database serving HTML componets from the
> > database using them in HTML pages in all catalogs.
>
> >>[item-date HTML head] puts this inside ic.  I'd think that you would
> >>be better off using any of the various page building systems and putting
> >>your IC code inside that.  Something like HTML::Template is conceptually
> >>similar to IC and might be a place to start.  Axkit is more flexible.
> >>Search for those and you will find others.
>
> That providing that all catalogs are sitting on one server. What if I want to
> serve a couple of ic servers with different catalogs located on two different
> servers as a fail safe solution?

You can serve pages from a database table, we will call it "files" for the
purpose of discussion. It should have the following fields:

    code base_code page_text show_date expiration_date base_page

The code is the page name (sans .html extension), and "page_text" is
the content. The rest of the fields are unimportant in this context.

Then put in catalog.cfg:

        PageTables   files

At that point, whenever you request a page for display this will be
looked at first and that record delivered instead of the file.

Before anyone asks, it is not documented. I doubt anyone has used it
except for me. It has the ability to do a "teleport" mode, whereby
you can select a page based on a point in history, but I will not explain
that here (nor likely ever). That is what the extra fields are for.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".