[ic] HTML in SQL database

Fri Oct 11 23:30:01 2002

Quoting George Osvald (mail@okstudio.com.au):

> >Can't one use zope to build static pages?  Build your ic pages that way.
> >It's what we do (not zope but same idea).  We use our site builder to
> >create our catalogs.  Everything is in database except a few custom
> >perl modules.  So you could stick with what you know.
>

> >If you have four years of zope, stick with it and figure out how to
> >embed ic.  With that amount of experience it seems you might want to
> >research the field before you jump into the code.
>
> >Easy for me to say, we've stuck with perl all along.  :-)
>

> Problem is I am getting rid off zope alltogether. I tried a couple of shopping
> cards for zope. They worked fine but often when I wanted to add new features
> to the server it required new version of Python as well. I am running this
> out of user account on my ISP. They are normally very flexible but since I am
> the only user who has any need for python I have to always ask them to
> upgrade it for me. I did try to build python on my user account as well but
> it was conflicting with a version allready installed and so on ........
>
> All and all I decided to go plain vanilla and migrated all my data from
> postgresql into mysql because they have it and I want to use Perl and CGI
> since they are upgrading those regularly.

I will be interested to watch your progress....strongly suggest you
use IC 4.9 instead of 4.8, though.

You can actually keep just about anything in Interchange in a database
instead of a file, but I don't know of anyone who has really tried
it. It is not documented.

I was thinking about doing a new template -- maybe I will try doing
one that stores all of its files in a table. I had also thought of writing
a script that would read all of the files from a catalog directory and populate
the appropriate tables. Then turn around and be able to write them out to
create a file-based version. If it could go both ways, it would be
quite a nice way of backing up and/or transferring a catalog.

The only files that are somewhat problematic are the configuration files
because of bootstrapping. There would need to be a callout in interchange.cfg
that would reference a table to configure from instead of a file...

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Software axiom: Lack of speed kills.