[ic] HTML in SQL database

George Osvald interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Oct 12 06:42:00 2002

>I will be interested to watch your progress....strongly suggest you
>use IC 4.9 instead of 4.8, though.

>You can actually keep just about anything in Interchange in a database
>instead of a file, but I don't know of anyone who has really tried
>it. It is not documented.

>I was thinking about doing a new template -- maybe I will try doing
>one that stores all of its files in a table.

My main goal at the moment is to store meta tags and other basic HTML
components in the database that I can use for both interchange files (in all
catalogs) and flat HTML files. I want to store all the detail product pages
as flat files so robots can spider those without a problem. I will also be
using HTML code stored in the database in those flat files and whenever I
change the data in the database it will affect the whole web site and all the
servers (I am working with only two at the moment). For instance in the
products table I added column "keywords" and every product or category has
specific keywords that I can add in the product pages. The same keywords will
be used for the flat pages as well as the IC pages. This will also allow me
to update the web site without the need to restart IC, apply changes or even
enter IC as a user. Simply changing a single table in my local database and
then replicating the table on line will do.
I have not tried 4.9 but 4.8 is not producing HTML on the client side that I
would like to see. I of course understand that it is meant to be a framework
rather then a finished product and every user has to do this fine tuning on
their own.
Forgive me if my description of this concept sounds lame but I am not a
programmer and my ignorance has taken me further that anything else. ( a lot
of trials and errors)

--

Regards,

George Osvald