[ic] Use E-Mail Address Instead Of Username For Login

Sat Oct 12 23:52:01 2002

Quoting Matthew Villa (matt@1percent.com):
> I want the customer to login by specifying their e-mail address not
> their username. I basically need a login screen similar to NetFlix and
> Amazon.
>
> I need to modify the registration form so they don't specify their
> username. Instead, they specify their e-mail address and their password
> on the registration form.
>
> I am assuming that I will need to have the system to assign a user id to
> their account automatically so it's used as a unique identifier for
> their account.
>
> If anyone can help me out that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with 4.8 other than point you to search for "unique"
in recent list postings at Google.

With 4.9, there is a new indirect login capability. It automatically
checks that for uniqueness, and allows you to assign a customer number
automatically. To use it, you need in catalog.cfg:

UserDB    default    indirect_login  email
UserDB    default    assign_username 1
UserDB    default    sql_counter     userdb:custno

You can omit the sql_counter parameter if you don't want to use
a sequence in your database to create the user number. Otherwise,
create a sequence as described in the sql_counter docs (4.9) for
the counter tag.

(
    For Postgres, it is as easy as:

	create sequence custno;

    For Mysql, you have to create a one-field custno table and make that key field
    AUTO_INCREMENT.
)

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

People who want to share their religious views with you
almost never want you to share yours with them. -- Dave Barry