[ic] Re: Slow advancedsearch results

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Oct 14 15:04:00 2002

cfm@maine.com wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 09:46:12AM -0700, Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:
>

>>racke@linuxia.de wrote:

>>>For SQL databases mv_like_field and mv_like_spec are useful to speed
>>>up searches.
>>>

>"like" is not going to be fast.  See the mysql docs for why.  There are
>ways to build indices of text fields (assuming that is what you are
>searching).

Perhaps I'm simply making this tougher than I need to.  For example,
with the dbm there was the column qualifier :c, I believe, that would
take the column index each CSV into an index, right?

In essence, is this not what I would want to do but for mysql but based
on a space seperator?  For example, if the column contained:
    "This is a stupid example"
    "This is a boring example"
    "This is a boring and stupid example"
I would want to have IC create an index for each word so that if someone
issued a search on that column for say:
    boring example
it would return rows for these two columns
    "This is a boring example"
    "This is a boring and stupid example"
and not all three, basically an 'AND' of the desired search

using the op rm does this, but boy is it so slow

>Is there still a glimpse option in newer ic?  That might help

I didn't know glimpse would work with mysql.  Has anyone else traveled
this road?

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028