[ic] More shipping

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 15 17:50:01 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Jon wrote:

J>>continuumdata wrote:
J>>
J>>> I've compared IC's calculations with the UPS web site.  It's dead on for UPS
J>>> Ground and UPS three day.  But the shipping is calculated incorrectly for
J>>> 2nd day and Next day.  In both examples I am using the same ship to and ship
J>>> from addresses, same weight.
J>>>
J>>> IC is being told to use the ups www lookup.... Any thoughts?
J>>>
J>>>
J>>
J>>    If I understand that part of shipping the query method (which is what I
J>>think you mean by  www lookup) goes to UPS to get the shipping rate.
J>>If that is the case then I would pay close attention to some of the options
J>>you're selecting manually on the UPS web site.  Some of the options might
J>>seems obvious but aren't.  For example the selection of residential address
J>>or not and the drop off versus daily pick up options.  Look at the value
J>>differences and I think you'll something there.  If you're talking table look up
J>>
J>>inside IC then there are other possibilities.

I'm finding that those rate tables only change once a year - no more. It's
much faster when one puts those rate tables on the computer and then do a
local lookup.

In addition, the rate increases are a percentage on top of the old rate.
Therefore, I simply add on a percentage to the shipping rate in the table
which brings it reasonably close to the current rate.

Yes, both FedEx and UPS ground have a residential surcharge that they add on
to the rate. They both also have a 'boondock' charge - the customer lives
out where I grew up and they don't want to go there, so they charge more.

I add $2.00 onto the calculated shipping charges and I call it 'shipping and
handling'. This covers the residential charge, and the boondock charge, as
well as boxes, tape, shipping labels, etc.

Sometimes I lose, sometimes I win. It seems to come out even.

I can't see slowing down the customer's order by calculating the shipping on
each order. YMMV

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 17:35 PM:
I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

This Linux System has been up 47 hours