[ic] makecat question

Jason Underdown interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 15 17:55:01 2002

I am trying to run makecat to create the foundation demo store, but the
script fails at two different points depending on which user I use to run
the script.

If I su to root and run makecat as root, the create database section of the
script fails because I don't have a root user set up for PostgreSQL.  Here
is the error message I get:

run "createdb foundation"? y
psql: FATAL 1:  user "root" does not exist
createdb: database creation failed

I realize I could just create a root user in PostgreSQL that has CREATEDB
privileges, but then why does the script ask me for the name of the
PostgreSQL user?

So next I thought, maybe I'm supposed to run makecat as my interchange user
("interch"), but if I su to "interch", and then run the makecat script, it
fails at the point of trying to write /etc/interchange.cfg.  I don't know
why it fails though because the /etc/interchange.cfg is owned by interch and
is writable by interch.  I can su to interch and edit it in emacs...

Should I be running the script as root or some other user?  And why doesn't
the script use the postgresql username that I supply when it attempts to
create the foundation database?

Jason

ps I installed everything from RPMs on Red Hat Linux 7.3 w/ Perl 5.6.1