[ic] add fixed weight onto shipping weight total

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 15 23:16:01 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jeff Dafoe wrote:

JD>>    Would someone know offhand how to add a fixed weight amount to the
JD>>shipping weight total?  I charge customers exactly what it costs me to ship
JD>>merchandise, I have all of the items 'correct weight entered into IC, and
JD>>everything is ultra-accurate except that I need to have the weight of the
JD>>box and packing material (a constant value) added in to the total weight.  I
JD>>am using the UPS-style lookup table.

Originally I wanted to have everything 'ultra-accurate'

Almost all ecommerce sites are calculating shipping based on a percentage of
total order price, or a flat fee. Customers are used to  these 'spurious'
shipping charges and don't seem to care what they are.

I am paying Uline approximately $1.00 each for boxes (give or take a few
cents).

In my case where I am selling diapers, I take a case of (say) 96 diapers in
the box and weigh them on an ultra-accurate scale. Then I divide that by 96
(the quantity of diapers in the case with the box) and get the weight per
diaper.

I don't think that you can be 'ultra-accurate' on shipping costs. Or, need
to be.

In most cases you can use 'adders' in shipping.asc or percentages of the
lookup total to be added in.

I see nothing wrong with charging the customer for the cost of boxes, tape,
labels, and maybe even employee costs for shipping the item out.

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 23:00 PM:
It is better to wear out than to rust out.

This Linux System has been up 52 hours