[ic] installing Bundle:Interchange on VS

mike karthauser interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 16 13:15:01 2002

I have installed the ic4.8.6 software within interch/ user and have had a
failure on makecat. RH Linux 7.2/ perl5.6.1 on a virtual server.

I am getting the error:

Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
/usr/local/home/interch/ic48x/lib/IniConf.pm line 438.

I assume this is due to an error in CPAN module installation.

I have Bundle::Interchange installed from CPAN which almost fully installs
but leaves me with this:

Failed 1/23 test scripts, 95.65% okay. 58/1500 subtests failed, 96.13% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 29
/usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

I dont have root access but have a su called admin which is as higher level
as i can get. This user allows full control over the VS environment.

My ISP suggests
..
You don't need root to install this software (software that really needs
root isn't compatible with your server).

Just install it into the prefix /usr/local rather than /usr; you might not
be able to use the CPAN shell to do this, though.
..

I have looked at:

Installing Perl Modules without Root Access
http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icadvanced11%2e00

which explains in some detail about installation but not in my context.

Based on the above link i created a file 'installopts' and have had some
success with installing some modules but cannot get the CPAN installer to
recogise the installopts file.

I'd like to do:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Interchange' `cat installopts`

<file installopts>
PREFIX=~/usr/local \
INSTALLPRIVLIB=~/usr/local/lib/perl5 \
INSTALLSCRIPT=~/usr/local/bin \
INSTALLSITELIB=~/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl \
INSTALLBIN=~/usr/local/bin \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/usr/local/lib/perl5/man \
INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/usr/local/lib/perl5/man/man3
<EOF>

--
Mike Karthauser
Brightstorm Ltd