[ic] Settling AuthorizeNet

Wed Oct 16 17:05:01 2002

I ran into a bug with AuthorizeNet.pm and the "settle" setting.

The way AuthorizeNet is mapped right now is:

	my %type_map = (
		AUTH_ONLY				=>	'AUTH_ONLY',
		CAPTURE_ONLY			=>  'CAPTURE_ONLY',
		CREDIT					=>	'CREDIT',
		PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE		=>	'PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE',
		VOID					=>	'VOID',
		auth		 			=>	'ONLY',
		authorize		 		=>	'AUTH_ONLY',
		mauthcapture 			=>	'AUTH_CAPTURE',
		mauthonly				=>	'AUTH_ONLY',
		return					=>	'CREDIT',
		reverse           		=>	'PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE',
		sale		 			=>	'AUTH_CAPTURE',
		settle      			=>  'CAPTURE_ONLY',
		void					=>	'VOID',
	);

This is wrong compared to my vision of how things should be. There should
be a "settle" which settles a previously authed transaction, i.e.

        settle                  =>  'PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE',

In "CAPTURE_ONLY" mode for AuthorizeNet, you need to supply the credit
card number, which we obviously don't want to do. (I believe this mode
is used to capture sales which were authed at another location and FAXED
or sent by batch.) So I would be surprised if anyone is really using
AuthorizeNet.pm in this way with IC.

Having reverse map to 'PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE' makes no sense at
all to me.

Is anyone actually using the "settle" type? I hesitate to remap it,
but I am doing an improved order_status.html page which will optionally
capture transactions previously done with AUTH_ONLY. I would like it
to be payment-gateway independent, and cannot use "PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE"
as the mode for that reason. My only other alternative is to create yet
another mode, i.e. "settle_prior", and then update all payment modules
to accept that (and map it to their own probably-properly-mapped settle
mode).

There also appear to be several other problems with the mode mapping
(there is no ONLY mode, for instance, and AUTH_CAPTURE is not mapped).

I would appreciate hearing how people are using this on any payment
gateway, if indeed they are at all.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer