[ic] Credit card return values help. SOLVED

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Oct 18 12:20:01 2002

At 12:07 PM 10/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> > At 11:24 PM 10/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Thanks!  Actually this is a very helpful piece of code:
> > >
> > ><pre>
> > >[calc]
> > >my $string = $Tag->uneval( { ref => $Session});
> > >$string =~ s/{/{\n/;
> > >$string =~ s/,/,\n/g;
> > >return $string;
> > >[/calc]
> > ></pre>
> > >
> > >I use it to debug all kinds of things now.  It's like a piece of magic :)
> >
> > Guess where I found it?
> >
> >          cd VENDROOT/lib
> >          perldoc Vend::Payment::Signio.pm
> >
> > There is some good documentation in the Interchange code, though there
> > could be a lot more.
> >

>We've got plenty of documentation -- right now the uncompressed size *unbuilt*
>is about 1.7 megabytes.
>
>The docs are just not organized very well. I wish we would find
>some sort of documentation god to rain grace upon our documentation,
>but judging from the lack of docs of most open source projects I doubt
>that will happen.
>
>I do know we have more detailed docs than any other ecommerce
>program I have seen.
>
>Other than that, PHP, MySQL, and Apache have good ones. But we
>are not in that league.
>
>The best docs I have seen are for-pay products, with DreamWeaver
>standing out. But no one has offered to pony up $100,000 to fund
>something like that. (I suspect the supporting companies of the
>above have spent the equivalent on docs, too.)
>
>I spent $7,000 personally to have some editing done on the Minivend
>docs, and Akopia put a couple tens of thousands of dollars into things.
>I would grant at least $10,000 right now to anyone who did a great job
>with our current docs. The problem is that from past experience, I have
>no confidence that anyone would do much with them given that money, so I
>wouldn't pay it up front or guaranteed. I would do it in a flash if they
>did an obvious bang-up job that is acclaimed by all. That is a serious
>offer, by the way. It would require plain-text editability, and some
>sort of parseable format that could be put in a database and searched.
>Beyond that, if everyone acclaimed it I would write a check.
>
>--
>Mike Heins

Dear Mike - what you say is completely true, and I have been as guilty as
anyone for complaining about the current state of the docs and then doing
very little about it.

In this case, however, I was referring not to manuals and reference guides,
but rather to documentation and comments in the source code itself.

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax