[ic] uploading record deletions

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Oct 18 20:23:01 2002

> > I'm sure its possible to import a list of deletions for a table
> in the UI.
> > Does anyone know the format of the file?
> >
> > I seem to recall that you can update some items and delete
> others with the
> > import feature. I just can't get it to work. I have:
> >
> > sku	description	...
> > DELETE sku1
> > sku2	updated item info..
> >
> > When I do this, I get a new item called DELETE :-(
> >

> DELETE needs to be the *second* field, with a blank key field.

Thanks, Mike.

(Thanks also to Rene for the suggestion, unfortunately in this case the
store admin has 40-50,000 products at the moment and a slow internet
connection. The plan is to manage the products off-line using a bespoke MS
Access database application and then just export/upload what has changed,
whether an update or a deletion.)

I have given this a try, and sure enough I get:

<extract>
Import of table products: Upload succeeded

Using fields from file: 'sku description title [complete list of fields
removed for clarity]
'
Deleting record 'AKG-B29L
'.
2 records processed of 2 input lines.
1 records deleted.
</extract>

The update of one sku is successful, but the deletion is not. This was with
4.9.3, about 1 week old.

I then tried this with the icdemo 4.9.3, and a copy of 4.8.5 - I get the
same results.

My test file to upload for these last two tests was:

sku description
	DELETE	os28057c

Which uploads and indicates the item is deleted, but it's still there. I did
make sure the delete items is checked, if its not it autonumbers and creates
a new record.

I also tried multiple lines (os28057a, os28057b, os28057c) with 4.8.5, but
got same results. I am able to delete items manually through the UI.

I must be missing something, I just can't see what..?

Jonathan
Webmaint.