[ic] Re: HTML in SQL database

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Oct 19 16:01:02 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 07:48:16PM +0200, Toni Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:32:05PM -0400, cfm@maine.com wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:11:46AM +1000, George Osvald wrote:
> > > I have been serving the whole web site from database using ZOPE for about four
> > > years now and I love the concept. Updating the site is a question of
> > > uploading a couple of files and everything else is done automatically. I am
> > > however forced by circumstances to change for IC (Perl v Python problem) and
> > > I need something really flexible.
>
> [ OT: How do I generate a static web site from Zope, so that I can serve it
>   somewhere else? ]
>
> To the point:
>
> Both Zope and IC are awfully flexible. But there should be very much
> less of a Python vs. Perl problem with Zope today since (afaik) as of
> 2.5.1, Zope can run mixed Python and Perl code. Only, since I'm not
> up to speed with Zope yet, I don't know _how_.

Ultimately you will find yourself writing IC, HTML, javascript and
probably even perl on the fly in whatever language your page builder
uses.  It's not hard to write perl in perl.  I don't know about writing
perl in python.  At the very least that requires someone twice as
skilled as I.  :-)

> > Feed that page to ic.
>
> I guess that this is the question: How to mix the various middleware
> systems - IC lumped together with Zope, Midgard and what have you
> here - in one application. It appears that several people have similar
> problems here.

You DON'T do it in one application.  :-)  Stop thinking that way!  That
is probably where you are dying, on the conceptual block trying to
figure out how to integrate them; don't.  You WANT them separate.

Use zope or whatever content management/page builder you want to build
the pages for IC.  IC runs what zope built.  IC doesn't know or care
if zope built them just now, yesterday, or a year ago.  No connection.  KISS.

(That is not to say IC might not trigger a zope process to update,
just don't start there.)

It should be fairly straightforward to try this.  Replace all the
LEFT_HAND, TOP (or whatever - we've not used those ever so I don't know
their names) with appropriate snippets in zope database, set up whatever
templates you need, and build your ic site.  (easy for me to say; I
don't know zope or python - YMMV)