[ic] Re: HTML in SQL database

Toni Mueller interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Oct 19 18:35:00 2002

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 04:00:32PM -0400, cfm@maine.com wrote:
> Ultimately you will find yourself writing IC, HTML, javascript and
> probably even perl on the fly in whatever language your page builder

I beg to disagree, see below.

> You DON'T do it in one application.  :-)  Stop thinking that way!  That
> is probably where you are dying, on the conceptual block trying to
> figure out how to integrate them; don't.  You WANT them separate.

Probably we should untangle the meaning of "application" here. First,
I meant not IC or Zope or whatever with "application", but the
resultant site. Like the difference between a data base and a data
base managemnt system. The former is an "application" in the meaning
I intended.

> Use zope or whatever content management/page builder you want to build
> the pages for IC.  IC runs what zope built.  IC doesn't know or care
> if zope built them just now, yesterday, or a year ago.  No connection.  KISS.

That may be desirable, but not always possible. Just assume for a
moment that you want to access some functionality that may be in
Zope or some other system that generates dynamic contents you want
to integrate in your site that you write in ITL. Now what do you do?

My idea was to have either a low-level interface between the various
applications, or to work with a filter-like model where you could
layer different interpreters on top of each other (question: Is
mod_interchange now available for Apache2?). Currently, I try to
imagine how a UserTag could probably solve my problem in a low
level way. That may still be easier than layering the different
engines, and faster, too...

Best,
--Toni++