[ic] INET and UNIX mode

Lyn St George interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Oct 20 07:28:00 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 03:49:30 +0100, pfeito wrote:

>Interchange supposed to do it automatically... to configure inetd but I
>guess it has failed...
>If this isn't the way... please tell me how can I make xinetd listen to
>interchange's port...

This has nothing whatsoever to do with (x)inetd. When IC is listening
in INET mode, it means that it connects through a port (7786) which is
visible on the internet at large. In contrast, listening in UNIX mode,
means that it is using an internal socket which is not visible to the
internet at large. If it can't listen to the INET port, then most probably
that port is already in use by another instance of IC. In any event, it
is better (more secure) to use UNIX mode only. Is your cgi owned
by the IC user? And is it 'chmod u+s'? These latter points are covered
in the docs and the list archives.

>Thanx,
>
> Pedro
>> Subject: Re: [ic] INET and UNIX mode
>>
>> Has inetd been told to listen on 7786?
>> You may need to create an inetd entry and restart inetd.
>>
>> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 15:55, pfeito wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > 	I cant make interchange run in INET and UNIX mode.
>> >
>> > 	I run makecat:
>> > 		The new catalog is based on foundation.
>> > 		I specify INET when he asks me.
>> > 		I finish the rest of the questions.
>> > 	I run: su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange -r" intech
>> > 	to restart the server. It outputs the following:
>> >
>> > Killing Interchange server 5738 with TERM.
>> > Low traffic settings.
>> > Calling UI......UI is loaded...
>> > Interchange V4.8.6
>> > Configuring catalog foundation...Using MySQL,
>> > DSN=dbi:mysql:test_foundation...done.
>> > Configuring catalog webcelera...Using MySQL,
>> > DSN=dbi:mysql:test_webcelera...done.
>> > Interchange server started in INET and UNIX mode(s) (process id
>12946)
>> > Continuing in UNIX MODE ONLY
>> >
>> > 	After this I try to enter "Customer Entrance" and "Admin
>> > Interface" but i get timeout...
>> > 	After some hours of double-checking everything and comparing to
>> > a working version on my friend's server, i couldn't find out why i
>cant
>> > get it to work on INET:
>> > 	-I telnet to localhost 7786, and i get timeout, so the service
>> > isn't listening... right ?
>> >
>> > My friend can telnet to 7786... i can't... he's interchange is
>workin,
>> > mine's not ! i assume the problem is INET ! because my friend's
>> > interchange is functioning well with INET.
>> >
>> > Any clues ? help me please !
>> >
>> > Pedro

-
Cheers