[ic] More than one product group and category?

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Oct 21 11:58:31 2002

At 11:51 AM 10/20/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi, I wonder if it is possible to have the same item in different product
>groups and different categories. For example, I have a DVD title that I
>have placed in the product group Genre and in the category Comedy. But I
>also want to have this title under another product group, let's say
>Country and category France. How do I fix this and get both groups with
>their differen categories exposed correct on the site?
>Roland Berg

Should be doable, though you'll have to fiddle with things a bit. For
starters, you would need to change the widget type for prod_group and
category in the item editor to one that allows you to select more than one
choice (the multiple select or checkbox widgets should work). Then you will
need to create area and category sidebar elements for these new groups and
categories with the design editor.

Your biggest challenge will be getting the search terms right - you'll want
to build your own Complex searches for the navigation elements which will
find these multi-category products, using the right kind of search
parameters. An example would be:

st=db
co=yes
ml=20
sf=prod_group
se=Genre
op=rm
sf=category
se=Comedy
op=rm
tf=sku

Note that you would use op=rm instead of op=eq or op=em, to allow for the
possibility that the category and genre fields may contain other values.

- Ed .

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax