[ic] Changes to the Interchange Developer Web Site

Mon Oct 21 20:34:00 2002

The Interchange Development Group web site, www.icdevgroup.org,
now has a new look and a new home.

The look is somewhat based on the new admin interface look for
Interchange 5.0 (aka Interchange 4.9.x). It is running on the
latest Interchange 4.9.3 nightly build.

Most of the links that were there before should still be there,
but they are organized a bit different with a tabbed-panel approach.
The menus use the new [menu ...] tag from Interchange 5, and are
very configurable -- so if you have suggestions on how they
can be structured differently, make them knowing that they can
be implemented in minutes if they make sense. 8-)

The site is now hosted on a server sponsored by End Point Corporation
(www.endpoint.com). ICDEVGROUP is grateful for their contribution, which
allows us to provide more services on the web site (like the multiple
live demos, mail lists, services directory, and CVS repository).

You will also probably notice that all mention of Red Hat is gone from
the site. ICDEVGROUP is grateful for the past contributions of Red Hat
(along with Akopia before them) and the support they provided over the
past few years.

It is important to note that the departure from Red Hat does not mean
that Interchange is going anywhere -- many exciting things are happening
with Interchange and I feel as good about its future as ever. Red Hat
took Minivend and pushed it to the next level, and now we are going
to go to the next level again. 8-)

One important new feature at the web site is the addition of a
weblog-style front page. We will be wanting to update that frequently,
so if you have any of

    -- Interchange articles or HOWTOs
    -- Pointers to new UserTags or hacks
    -- New FAQ entries
    -- E-commerce media articles that might apply to IC users
    -- Super mail list postings or rants
    -- Broader questions for looking for answers
       from the world

please feel free to submit them as stories for the front page.

The mail list search should be much improved. It is based on
Swish, and allows AND, OR, and NOT search term specification.

We will soon be changing the documentation search to use Swish, which
should provide better addressability and relevance scoring for searches.
In addition, we are implementing a consultant/web designer/hosting
services directory for Interchange-savvy hosters and consultants.

We encourage all to give us suggestions for the web site. We can't
know what you want unless you tell us!

Best,
Mike
--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work
the more luck I have. -- Thomas Jefferson