[ic] Maybe we can help?

paul jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 22 12:18:53 2002

> > I know that this is a bit off-topic for this board, but the issue with
> > companies enforcing their patents on standard e-commerce functionality
> > has potential to affect us all.
>
> Seems pretty on-topic to me. :)
>
> > I don't know much about the www.youmaybenext.com site, but maybe we can
> > offer some sort of support to that group???
>
> That seems like the best option, since strength in numbers is the best
> strategy for these frivolous patent suits. However, without knowing in
> great detail who's behind youmaybenext and how money or other resources
> are allocated, I'm sure most of us are wary of them.
>
> Jon

I am in for whatever you guys end up doing :) I am young and stupid, but I
like being in the middle of a food fight.

You may want to look into a class action suit http://www.bigclassaction.com/

>From what I can tell Panip and Divine INC had open licensing, and knowingly
let people build upon it, and all of a sudden want money for it. You would
only need to prove one of them purchased something over the internet "x"
amount of time before their first suit, or at least knew about e-stores. In
a way they were criminal in this, knowingly waited, and now striking. I am
sure if a court case actually took place they would lose. If there is one
thing America stands against is restraint of trade.

I know I don't sound like I know what I am talking about, and I probably
don't, but IF there is one thing I DO know, is that in this great country,
you can sure anyone for anything :) So why not sue them.

Paul

BTW, there is a "Slave Labor" heading there for any of the dev group that
wants to stick it to Mike H :)