[ic] Re: Changes to the Interchange Developer Web Site

Toni Mueller interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 22 14:46:00 2002

Hi,

[ I looked at the site some 5 minutes ago ]

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:31:34PM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> The Interchange Development Group web site, www.icdevgroup.org,
> now has a new look and a new home.

was RedHat dissatisfied with Interchange? If so, why? And even
if, why did they let you go? For a while now I was a bit
disturbed that most key developers appeared to have been
laid off.

> allows us to provide more services on the web site (like the multiple
> live demos, mail lists, services directory, and CVS repository).

I see only one, and that points back to RedHat.

> You will also probably notice that all mention of Red Hat is gone from
> the site. ICDEVGROUP is grateful for the past contributions of Red Hat
> (along with Akopia before them) and the support they provided over the
> past few years.

Quote from the left side bar:

"RedHat Services"...

> It is important to note that the departure from Red Hat does not mean
> that Interchange is going anywhere -- many exciting things are happening

Hmmmm?

> with Interchange and I feel as good about its future as ever. Red Hat
> took Minivend and pushed it to the next level, and now we are going
> to go to the next level again. 8-)

As a general remark, the site looks very good. I'd prefer to
have less DHTML, however ;-) Your site has the same design problem
I'm trying to find a solution for, too, which is a left bar of
varying width.

> The mail list search should be much improved. It is based on
> Swish, and allows AND, OR, and NOT search term specification.

Dumb question, fully OT as well, why didn't you like mnoGoSearch?
(just curious)

> We will soon be changing the documentation search to use Swish, which
> should provide better addressability and relevance scoring for searches.
> In addition, we are implementing a consultant/web designer/hosting
> services directory for Interchange-savvy hosters and consultants.

Will you probably also implement something like the user-commented
documentation that is prevalent on the PHP.net site?

> We encourage all to give us suggestions for the web site. We can't
> know what you want unless you tell us!

Done ;-)

Some performance figures would be nice: Server hardware, software,
bandwidth, and what you use out of it/how many hits, CVS accesses,
FTP downloads etc... For the curious.

Best,
--Toni++