[ic] Interchange and suexec

Schuyler Langdon interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 22 15:44:00 2002

Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > This has been covered in the archives, but I've found no satisfactory
> > answers. Is there a way to get tlink/vlink to run as the of the catalog
user
> > instead of the interchange user? I'm running suexec and there is a
mismatch
> > with the program (interchange user). Is it evem possible to have
multiple
> > catalog users when running suexec?
> >
> If you run tlink, it won't matter what user you choose.
>
> The vlink needs to run as the Interchange user in order to be able to
> read/write Interchange's UNIX-domain socket file.  You could change the
> permission of the socket file so that any member of the Interchange
> user's group (or anyone) can read/write the file.  Read about the
> SocketPerms *global* directive for more information, or simply switch
> to INET-mode and tlink.
>
> There are other options.  The most obvious one it to switch off that
> pesky suexec mode.  Another option may be to configure mod_interchange
> into Apache.
>
> If you're using a shared server then your options may be limited by the
> ability or willingness of your host.  If you have a dedicated server
> then you can do whatever you like. :-)

Simply changing the ownership/group of the tlink file is a much more vialble
option than running apache without suexec on a server with multiple users.
It looks like makecat copies tlink or vlink as user/group interch or what
ever the daemon runs as regardless of whether suexec is answered "y" or "n".
It should be copied as the catalog user/grp for "y". Additionally in the
paragraph makecat spits out about suexec -- it should say something about
running with SocketPerms=666 if using vlink.

--
Schuyler Langdon
GatorDev