[ic] Maybe we can help?

paul jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Oct 22 18:59:00 2002

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, paul jordan wrote:
>
> pj>>BTW, you notice that all the companies being sued are out of
> state.... I am
> pj>>guessing that the case would be in California, and small
> companies would not
> pj>>want to even pay the airfare and accomodations let alone the
> lawyer fees.
> pj>>
> pj>>Let's sue them, and I will represent us for free :)
>
> I don't think that the state is the issue.
>
> I think that they are selecting firms that can't afford to get a
> lawyer and
> appear in court. Out of the 48 firms that I saw today that are being sued,
> they are all small potatoes - like us. There is no Amazon, BestBuy,
> Barnes&Noble, or similar multi-million dollar companies.
>
> Youmaybenext.com alleges that they are looking up D&B ratings on each
> company that they sue.
>
> IMHO, I think that it comes down to a class-action suit and convincing a
> judge that the whole concept is ludicrous and that s/he will order the
> patent thrown out.
>
> That takes a LOT of support, and a LOT of money!
>
> -= Jim =-

I agree, I was only pointing out that for Panip, they are explicitly
targeting out of state, thus confirming the fact that they don't wan't to
got to court right now. There are plenty of small companies in California
with ecom websites. I actually don't think they ever intend to go to court.
I am not sure how accurate the list is, but there are also no LLC's. I have
two LLC's and I know you can set up an LLC to be pretty much expendable. I
am not saying I do shady things, I am an honest guy, but in this sue crazy
age, and expendable LLC is priceless. However, if you are dishonest, that
same fact will bite your butt :)

Quoting youmaybenext:

We can only ponder the reasons, but one might conclude that the opposition
assumes a legal battle waged against a number of smaller businesses, all
located in other areas of the US and far away from the venue of the Federal
Court District in Southern California, and all with somewhat limited
financial resources and legal experience, would be a simple victory to
achieve, and easy money in their pocket. Perhaps they feel that a legal
victory would set a precedent, from which they could then leap to attack
wealthier corporations.

::END Quote

>From what I have read thus far, Panip has never gone to court, or am I wrong
in that? All articles elude to the defendant settling for their one time
license fee.

I was only pointing out they are avoiding California, most likely out of
fear someone actually showing up. Thus revealing their true belief in the
strenght of their patent.

Paul