[ic] access_gating whole catalog?

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 23 09:48:01 2002

At 11:14 AM 10/23/2002 +0930, you wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:29:44 -0400
>  Mike Heins <mike@perusion.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Tim Stoakes (tim@ehost.com.au):
> > >
> > > That looks like the only alternative. I was trying to avoid
> > > re-inventing the wheel, that's all. I was actually planning on using
> > > this method to act as host based authentication for a catalog. ie. one
> > > catalog hosted on a server with multiple catalogs, only connections
> > > from a certain ip subnet (a vpn aactually) will be accepted by this
> > > catalog. My favoured alternative now is a separate ic server instance
> > > on a different port, using firewalling to enforce my rules. This seems
> > > stronger than coding it into ic anyway, at least it is a blanket
> > > solution. Cheers
> >
> > I will certainly look at changing 4.9 and enabling it in the root
> > directory as an option. I have not examined that code in quite some
> > time, and it is always good to revisit previous decisions and see if
> > they still make sense. 8-)
> >
> > --
> > Mike Heins
>
>Hi Mike
>That would be great, I'm surprised no one else wants it. My problem can
>probably be solved as Chris said via Apache settings, but I (at least!)
>could still use the added flexibility of being to have full interchange
>flexibility on a catalog wide scale.
>It would be much appreciated, thanks. Keep up the good work guys!
>
>Tim

I know this is late in the thread, but since just about everyone uses a
modular design approach for their interchange pages (for example, the
regions such as LEFTRIGHT_TOP in the foundation demo), it is very easy to
just to add something like:

[if !session logged_in][bounce page=login][/if]

To one of these components or regions which appears on every page - just
make sure you *don't* use that some element on the login page or you will
get an endless loop!

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax