[ic] Form input field lengths

Interchange user interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 23 14:58:40 2002

Just looking in /ord/checkout.html from the 'Foundation' store and I noticed
a couple of (very simple) problems with form field lengths for countries
other than the U.S.

For example, in the 'Billing Address' area, the 'State' field has a
'maxlength' of 5; this is no good, for example, for the U.K. where this field
would be used for the county.

Apparently arbitrarily, some fields don't have a 'maxlength' declaration.
Shouldn't all form input fields (apart from the drop downs) have a
'maxlength'? What happens if you try to write more bytes than have been
defined for a MySQL field? Will it puke with an overflow error, or does MySQL
just chop off the excess? I've changed the relevant field types in 'userdb'
anyhow from varchar(10) to varchar(30).

BTW, what's the idea behind giving 'company' a varchar(30), yet 'b_company' a
varchar(128) in userdb? ;-)