[ic] SalesTax -> Trying to put it all together.

Stephane Gosselin interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Oct 27 15:52:00 2002

         Hey people. Great list. I have plunged in the vast and
cryptic-voodoo realm of INTERCHANGE about 2 weeks ago. Been rummaging
through the (very) numerous posts this list has, trying to find how to have
the demo cart dish out the sales-tax. Some of the vapor has started to lift
off, but I still can't see my toes !

  I live in Quebec, Canadam so the way it's done on paper is :

         ( subtotal *  1.07 ) * ( 1.075 ) = total    <-- ( Yes, we are
taxed on our taxes, our govt. is in need. ) hehe.

Basically we have TPS at 7%, and TVQ at 7.5%.

I understand from the postings / articles that there are 3 basic ways to
apply taxes .... and those have variants.

I think one way is to apply a standard uniform tax-rate in catalog.cfg, it
didn't seem like my option so I scrapped that.

Another way is the 'VAT' method, as mentionned in a UK-based interchange
article  --> http://www.webmaint.net/interchange/uksetup.html... wich I
believe assigns taxes to everything in a particular country and other
taxrates for different categories eg: 'food'  -> I don't believe this is
what I need.

Yet another method, wich I havent tried 'yet', but has been applied to a
setup from my country has been to define a 'SalesTax' function, wich is
called from the checkout page  -->
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2002-April/020481.html

Yet another post I read resolves the issue I'm having  by adding code to
shipping.asc
--->http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2001-February/004367.html

The method I believe would apply  best to me is the one where SalesTax
directive is set to ' multi ' ,  and taxrates are read from state file but
I ain t too sure at this point. I had double entries in my province list
when I tried, and tax was only counted once.

I have tried changing setting here and there, to no avail.
I don't really understand wich is important, state.txt OR salestax.asc ?

Or how to have the catalog.cfg point to those ?

Help. Anyone ?

Stephane Gosselin
Programmeur-analyste/Consultant
Développement Internet CFusions