[ic] new idea, feedback please

Mon Oct 28 15:46:01 2002

Quoting Grant (listbox@email.com):
> I think I may have come up with a way that would work for me to keep my URLs
> search engine friendly.  I do have a couple questions though, so please let
> me know what you guys think.
>
> The idea is to write a new usertag to replace the area tag.  It would check
> to see if the page argument is AlwaysSecure or not and write either http://
> or https:// based on that, then __SERVER_NAME__, then __CGI_URL__, then
> /(pageargument).html.  That would keep id= and mv_pc= out of the generated
> links and the search engine spiders would then be able to traverse all of
> the links.  I would always use the new tag to generate links, and cookies
> would just be required to shop at my store.  Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Will not having mv_pc= functionality cause a problem?  I realize it is
> there to prevent browser page-caching.  If it's not there, will users be
> viewing old versions of my pages after I've updated them?
>
> 2. Does anyone see any possible problems caused by setting up a system like
> this?

Actually, I think it has been dealt with on the RobotUA front in IC 4.9.
Also, IC 4.9 has an option for the page and area tags to use or not use
mv_pc and id on a link-by-link basis.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second
time you make it. -- unknown