[ic] Areas, categories and items

Neil Hambleton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Oct 28 19:00:01 2002

I'm relatively new to Interchange, so I apologise if I'm asking something
simple. Hopefully my questions will get progressively harder as I go along.

Anyway I've installed the foundation demo store to run with a mysql
database. When I add a new area and / or category in the Design section of
the Administration function, I expected to be able to see and use them in
the Items section. However they don't appear, even though I've restarted
Interchange, and used the Apply Changes function.

I did read a posting that mentioned the Foundation demo was designed to work
with GDBM, and that changes would not be updated to a mysql database on the
fly. Instead it was suggested to either import the product databases for
every change, or switch to sql. However the data appears to be in my
database (in the area and cat tables), it just doesn't appear in the
drop-downs for the Item page. Perhaps I need to look at how that page is
built.

I suppose my questions are:
1. Is this a reasonable explanation for my problem or am I barking up the
wrong tree?
2. If so, what is involved in "switching to sql" for the Foundation demo? If
anyone can point me to some documentation I would appreciate it

On a separate note, I was looking through the category_vertical component,
and within the loops for area and category, mv_searchtype (st) is set to db.
Apparently one of the alternatives is sql. Are there any examples of loops /
searches that use st=sql that I could learn from?

Thanks,
Neil