[ic] Profiles for checking without ordering

John Allman interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Oct 30 04:36:00 2002

paul jordan wrote:

>John, the page that handles the above profile is account.txt, look at its
>form.
>
>AS for your latest email. I have never seen what you are doing the way you
>are doing... that doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't believe you can
>write to userdb like that.
>
>Are you trying to write this to userdb??  You may need to use it in
>conjunction with a [tag flag write] but I don't know is that is safe... I
>recommend looking into [userdb] tag if that is what you are dealing with.
>
>Paul

I'm beginning to think i'm doing something really stupid. I've got a
pages/account.html in the "construct something" demo - i'm guessing this
is the same thing. that page works perfectly for that catalog.

i removed this line:
[if !session logged_in][bounce href="[area new_account]"][/if]
as i want this page accessable without being logged in

and this line:
[userdb save]
from the variable pointed to by mv_check as i dont actually want it to
do anything for now.

those two lines have caused it to break. by break i mean the same
behaviour - the errors are not thrown up and the user is redirected to
the page pointed to by mv_nextpage when the form is submitted no matter
what the values

the page i intend to make eventually will take the information on the
form and save it to a database (not the userdb database). Is it the fact
that the form "does nothing" that caused it to break? what am i missing
here? The reason i asked for a simple example of checking a form
submission is because my efforts at hacking the account maintenance page
have failed miserably...

thanks

John