[ic] Using indexes in search

Joshua Lavin interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 31 14:34:01 2002

Hi list,

I am running IC 4.8.3 with MySQL on a FreeBSD virtual server at Verio. We
have some one-click searches like this:

[page scan se=Pants/sf=Category/va=dept=clothing/mp=sort]Pants</a>

This particular search takes about 16 secs to show. Verio just contacted me
last week, saying the MySQL daemon was taking 60% of the server, so I have
now learned about and implemented indexing. :-) I indexed the Category and
Department columns (my products database is slightly different than the
default).

My question is: does the one-click search above automatically take advantage
of these indexes? Because that search is still around 16 secs.

I noticed the Fast Binary Search in the docs, and tried using it like this:
[page search="dl=Pants/di=Category/fi=products.txt"]Pants</a>
But, this returns all the rows of the products database! (2,000-something
with 50 per page.) It is surprisly fast, however.

I also found the "Optimizing Lists" page in the FAQ, and using the
PREFIX-param in the results page sped it up a bit (as show by the Benchmark
tag). But the 16 secs are before the results page even loads.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Josh Lavin