[ic] Secure?

Robert Wall interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 31 14:56:01 2002

> Does the cart need to be on a secure site in order for the credit card
> processing to take place?  My merchant account is working manually, but not
> through the system.  I did not have the ability at the time to make a secure
> area.  I assumed that the PGP might help me encrypt what I needed.  I am
> using IC Verify ‹ I think.

A secure web site certificate provides encryption between the end user's
computer and the server that the web site resides on.

PGP provides encryption for the e-mail that gets sent from the server to
the store administrator.

>From the "pure theory" point of view, credit card processing can occur on
a non-secure site.  In practice though, you'd really better provide a
secure site so that customers can be reasonably assured that their data is
safe.  Comodo Security Services (http://www.comodo.net) provides low-cost
site certificates (around $50 per year) that would get you up and running
just fine.

-----
Robert Wall						(715) 855-0189
Systems Administrator                                   bob@web-walrus.com
Web Walrus Media

            "Affordable internet solutions for your business"