[ic] Secure?

Robert Wall interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 31 15:58:00 2002

> Verisign and Thawte are the only ones that are compatible with IE 4 and
> 4.01.  With InstantSSL, Entrust, and "Baltimore" being added with
> 5.00.  I'm not sure which branch comodo resells.  Qualityssl.com is doing a
> promotion for a $25 cert.

I think Comodo is chained off the Baltimore root.  As another random note
for the uninitiated, *ALL* certificates provide encryption, the issue
being debated is simply one of whether or not the end user's browser
inherently "trusts" the cert.

If the browser doesn't trust the cert, a window will pop up (on
any version of Windows I've ever seen, Linux may be different) indicating
that the certificate is valid, the certificate matches the site name, but
that it is from a non-trusted certifying authority.

So they all work, it's just a matter of weighing price versus
compatibility.

-----
Robert Wall						(715) 855-0189
Systems Administrator                                   bob@web-walrus.com
Web Walrus Media

            "Affordable internet solutions for your business"