[ic] Using indexes in search

Jeff Dafoe interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Oct 31 17:19:00 2002

> I added the st=text, and that really didn't make a difference. However, I
> failed to mention that in the one-click search link, there is also
"ml=999".
> If I take out the ml=999, the search is faster.

    Make the rf=* and item-param change described in that thread also.  Like
I mentioned, I had a .45 load with only 3-5 users on browsing through
results pages.  After switching to text and using rf and item-param,
essentially eliminating the SQL server from the search results page process,
the load is now non-measurable in that situation.  I feel that you really
have to eliminate the SQL server from the search results process as the open
source SQL servers are not as fast as one would hope when returning large
amounts of rows.  By making the st=text change you have eliminated the db
from the search process but if you still have item-description and
item-thumb on your results page you are still hitting the SQL db a zillion
times, since each of those tags does its own lookup.  The rf and item-param
changes will rectify this.  I would all but guarantee you will see a
substantial difference.

Jeff